Wednesday 15 May 2013

Whitechapel Support Helps Find 75 Year Old Man First Home of His Own

Whitechapel client, William, was born in China, then moved to Liverpool with his parents when he was a child.

For the last thirty years of his life he has lived as a lodger, but the owner of this house is now selling so he was forced to take the huge step into independent living.

William is 75 years old and has no experience of managing a  household, and to make things more difficult, he does not read English.


On 11th March this year Whitechapel support worker, Delphine, moved William in to a newly refurbished flat in Childwall.


Delphine recently receiving a certificate

He was beside himself with joy to have a place of his own, something he had always wanted but did not think it was a dream that would ever come true.

Delphine has supported him in obtaining his benefits, utilities and helped him to liaise with all necessary agencies.

Throughout this process Delphine has watched as William has grown in confidence, and gained new skills to help him with his new home.

Delphine said, "At the start of the process William was very nervous but I feel so gratified to watch, even if its later in life, William gain a promising independent life."

William is thrilled with his new home, saying, “All these things are new to me I am so glad Delphine has been here helping me with them, I know I can ask her anything that I am worried about and she will help me with the problem. I have learnt so much and am so glad I moved, its lovely here, my own space.”

To learn more about the work that we carry out at The Whitechapel Centre, and the floating support team that Delphine is a part of, please go to our website at: http://www.whitechapelcentre.co.uk